"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences." ~Gordon B. Hinckley

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Easter Egg Hunting in October???

You heard me. The 'Ladies' are laying their eggs in full force now. Only some of the 'Ladies' don't like to use the nesting boxes so graciously accommodated for them. In the beginning they would lay ALL their eggs right in the nesting box. But September was sooo stinkin hot, that we started opening up the chicken coop and just letting the chickens roam free in the yard. They are masters at finding the shadiest coolest spots. Then all of a sudden their daily egg production seemed to drop and we coudln't understand why. One day I was heading out to the coop to change their water when I heard a bush make a sound! How could the bush make a sound. I walked up closely to the bush and couldn't see anything, but as I turned to walk away I heard it again. "What in the world?" This time I crouched down behind the bush and sure enough, tucked way up in the bush there was one of my chickies. I had to wait for her to be done with her business, but sure enough---a whole nest of eggs.

So now when we go check for eggs and things seem a little low in the nesting box, we send the kids on an easter egg hunt to search under and around all the bushes to make the chickens aren't leaving their presents elsewhere around the yard.

When all eggs are accounted for, we end up grossing 5-7 eggs DAILY. So if you are interested in some farm fresh, organic, eggs, send me an email and we might be able to work out an 'arrangement'. We seem to have a few for sale! Ü

1 comment:

Allyson & Jere said...

That's a lotta eggs for sure! But I LOVE that you have all the fresh eggs you could ever use. Oh, and I also LOVE that you ACTUALLY updated. Just sayin.