"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences." ~Gordon B. Hinckley

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Cupcake Wars


Have you seen this show on Food Network?? Laetner is OBSESSED with it! He begs every week if we can have a cupcake war. Soooo, the last two Sundays we have obliged.

Last week: RED VELVET with cream cheese icing (aka Red Velva if Laetner is talking)

We used of recipe off of Food Network from Cooking with the Neely's and baked 1/2 of our cupcakes in the regular muffin cups and 1/2 in ice cream cones.

The verdict: The ice cream cones actually kept the cake moister---although the cones didn't have a whole lot of crunch left in them. But the presentation (with a dollup of cream cheese frosting) was so stinkin cute that they won HANDS DOWN!!!

Tonight: Mom's Heath Bar Cupcakes vs. Laetner and Delainee's Reese's Peanut Butter and Caramel Cupcakes.

The cupcake itself was an AMAZINGLY moist concoction of yellow cake mix, eggs, water and instant milk chocolate pudding. The frosting was a mixture of butter, egg yolks, pwd sugar, and a cup of whipped cream---YUM! I then drizzled crushed up Heath Bar Candy Cars, for just a splash of toffee flavor and a little crunch! While Delainee and Laetner piled on chopped up Reese's PB Cups and drizzled with caramel---talk about RICH!!!!

Laetner had been trash talking me all day and CLAIMED that he was gonna squash me. I am not so sure about that! Ü

We made both flavors for Daddy to judge, and Court had us all giggling as he critiqued each cupcake with an 'OUTRAGEOUS' french accent just like the judge on the t.v. show.

I lost!

Don't suppose we have an unbiased judge out there ready to judge our throwdown???

3 comments:

Allyson & Jere said...

That is the CUTEST thing ever! No really, I LOVE that you're having cooking wars with your kids and Cort judged like a French guy. I adore this. you are making the greatest memories for your kids. Oh, and WHEN do I get some of those cupcakes? I'm waiting.

Allyson & Jere said...

What do you mean "slightly familiar" phrases in this post? I'm confused?

Maurio said...

It seems like non stop fun at your house or at someone else's house!! I love the cupcake contest. Go Laetner!! And all the stories, including school pictures, fun at the cabin and Sherwood activities. Oh I loved the double rainbow but admittedly I COULD'NT SEE THE SECOND RAINBOW.