"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences." ~Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

10 K

The last time I actually ran an entire 10k was a 'few' years ago when my SIL Shelby and I ran London's Run down in Queen Creek.

We have been talking about working up to do the Turkey Trot this year, and asked ourselves why drive and pay the money? But we really wanted to train and have our own 'Turkey Trot-ish' on Thanksgiving morning. No t-shirt, no everybody and their dog AND their stroller, no guy dressed up in a Turkey costume. Just 6.2 miles mapped out. We even put out feelers to see if anybody wanted to come run it with us, we got a few 'maybes' but no one seemed interested.

Still that did not deter us, and we have continued to train. I am ''slightly' scared of the sunshine, and so my running partner is VERY accommodating (she allows me to set the pace for what I can handle) and we run at nights---9:00-10:30 ish. And let me tell you, it is COLD at 10:00 at night!!!!! Ü

We were starting to feel like I just wasn't gonna get my endurance up by Thanksgiving morning, and then last night out of nowhere---we did it!!!! No big thang-- ran the entire 10k (and then some on the stretch home) We might need to drag a hubby to our finish line to get us an actual finish time, but considering we met at the corner at 9:00 and I was walking in my door at 10:15, I am thinking it was somewhere in the 1:05-1:15 range . Shelby?

Now I know this is nothing compared to all the marathon and half marathon times that are being posted up and down facebook these day, but for me---this is impressive! Just the fact that we ran the whole time---I am TOTALLY tooting my own horn!

Now I just got to do it again on Thanksgiving morning! Ü

2 comments:

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

I'd toot my horn, too!! That's an awesome time! Clint and I have made a tradition of the turkey trot the past five years and I'm totally one of the annoying stroller moms running into everyone. Enjoy your nice peaceful run while I'm elbowing my way through hell!! :)

Shelby said...

Thanks for tooting my horn too. I totally agree with the time and was actually quite shocked when I walked in the door! Now I know you can do it on Thanksgiving morning so no mercy!