"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences." ~Gordon B. Hinckley

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Living with a Pterodactyl

It has taking me two full days in my jammies, but about 15 posts later I think I am finally caught up on this blog.

This particular post requires a few segments:

My dear Waverly (like all my children) is a little slow in the speech department. When Delainee was born 3 months premature, we expected speech delays, but when Laetner followed suit, my MIL fessed up that not only did Courtney not speak til he was 3 years old or so, but that she didn't as well. Delainee and Laetner responded very well to sign language, Waverly not so much. She is a different breed altogether. We have been working with a speech therapist who comes to the house every Friday, and we have DEFINITELY made quite a bit of progess on Waverly being able to at least label items, but when it comes to actually communicating she mostly does alot of pointing, pouting and grunting. The grunting has actually gotten worse as of late and she CONSTANTLY makes this screeching sound that I can only describe as what I think a pterodactyl would sound like. She KNOWS that is bugs Court to death, and I swear does it more often when he is around just to spite him. So at lunch today I figured I should try and document it. Pretty much you if you say anything directly to her, she will do it.

While I was at it I tried to get her to sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. She has learned this song in nursery at church. I heard her singing it for the first time about a month ago---or at least I finally figured out what she was singing about a month ago. I recognized the rhythm and the melody was pretty spot on, but the words were abolsutely unintelligible. We have come a long way in a month. You can definitely hear almost all the words---bear in mind that she turns 3 next month. Not sure what the rap intro is all about, but it just gives another glimpse into the weirdness that is Waverly.

So without futher ado, here is Waverly singing Twinkle Twinkle

and Waverly screeching like a pterodactyl (the very last one is what I am talking about)


Now I have another story that I will call "Creepy Courtney" that is directly related to Waverly and her speech.

1 comment:

Allyson & Jere said...

Sheesh girl, you were BUSY. But, I'm so pleased you're all caught up. It was fun to see your December activities. You need to add Snowflake alley to your Christmas light looking. It's off Guadalupe between AZ Ave and Extension. AWESOMENESS!!!!!

Wavee at least knows how to say NO reallllly well.

Love that Delainee is playing cello, it's my favorite.

Don't worry, we're working on a New Years card, so don't give up hope just yet. And for the record, YOU made my fridge of fame.

Love you guys, wish we got to see you more often.