"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences." ~Gordon B. Hinckley

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Birthday Boy

It's the same old story. Boy wakes up on his birthday and heads off to school. Boy plays on the playground before the morning bell and manages to slip and fall on the jungle gym---splitting his chin open. Boy's mother gets a call from the school nurse saying 'we might need stitches'!

Are you kidding me?

We go to get Laetner from school so we can take him to the doctor, and he DOESN'T want to leave. Mind you, he had blood caked to his neck and down the front of his shirt. But, he was so concerned that he was missing out on his special 'birthday school day' and worse than that---he had NOT gotten his special birthday crown from Miss Hann yet!

But we dropped Wavee off at Shelby's house and Laetner and I headed to Mesa Peds. The verdict---stitches not needed. But the wound was still bleeding, so they cleaned him up and steri-stripped him together. Whew---that could have been worse.

We then made a quick trip to Wal-Mart where Laetner INSISTED that he needed some 'chop sticks'. I was utterly confused until I looked down to see this in his hands....

Ummm, what do you need chapstick for? He then rattled off names of kids (boys)at school that had chapstick---is this some new trend I am not aware of? Are they eating this stuff???

"You don't need chapstick" I insisted. "Chapstick is for kissing girls, is there a girl you are wanting to kiss?"

I honestly thought this line of questioning would make him giggle and/or "ewww" but he immediately responsed with "Yes, Hannah is my one true love!"

Hello! He turns 6 and suddenly he is Mr. Cassanova! He has a little Hannah (and when I say little I am not exaggerating---she is a nunch) that sits at his table in kindergarten. He INSISTED she be invited to his birthday party---which I was surprised at, at the time. But, now that I know she is his 'one true love' it is all making sense to me! I wonder what Hannah thinks about all this.... I wonder what Hannah's MOTHER thinks about all this. But with as innocently sweet he was being, my cold tight-wad mother heart melted---and I bought him his 'chop-sticks.' It was his birthday after all! Ü

We then headed to Krispy Kreme to get donuts and hats for his class, and we managed to get him back to school just in time for lunch (they were having pizza) and more importantly just in time to get his BIRTHDAY CROWN! When we walked into the classroom the whole class gathered around him like he was some sort of celebrity---who doesn't want to be the center of attention on his birthday?

All in all it turned out pretty good. We aren't actually celebrating his birthday until his party, but he still got to pick out what he wanted to eat for dinner---he wanted Mac and Cheese ALL BY HIMSELF. Thanks to E-Z Mac, his WISH came true! Ü We finished off the night with a trip to Golden Spoon---he got cinnamon ice cream with gummy bears and cookie dough---ummmm GROSS---but he LOVED it! Ü

Just look at my handsome boy all grown up!
Photobucket
Photobucket

Can't Wait for his PARTY!
Hopefully we get a shot of this elusive Miss Hannah

1 comment:

Jenn C. said...

He is so handsome! What a great story he will have to tell!