"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences." ~Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Dear *My 1st Piano Teacher*---Deal With This!

Truth be told, I am pretty excellent at playing the piano! There I have said it. I have definitely put in the time---so has my mother for that matter. But I am not as perfect as it seems--shocking, I know.

When I was younger, I had a teacher that would slap my wrists becuz I wasn't playing with beautifully curved fingers. He even made me tie red yarn to my wrists to try and remind me to 'bubble up'.

Didn't work out so well.

I play flat fingered. I like to think of it as being cultured (since I have HEARD that the Europeans play flat fingered---WHATEVER!) Add that to the fact that I am a HUGE nail-biter---we are talking chewing and tearing the cuticle down til they BLEED sort of thing---and I must admit that my hands might not be the most beautiful things you have seen moving on those ivories! I once was accompanying a vocal major who looked down in horror at my hands one day as we were practicing together and said, "Is that what practicing piano does to your hands?" "No," I replied in shame, "that is what watching 24 will do to your fingers!"

But, I seriously have some mad skizzles! All those comments from my mother of 'you'll thank me when you're older' really came true. And for any of you mothers looking for a great skill to give to your children just know this: accompanists at the local community colleges get paid $40 an hour---and they are always a HOT commodity in high demand!

Don't get me wrong, however. In a piano 'play off' with Jenn Crandall I would LOSE---but I like to think that it would be by just BARELY! Ü

But I digress. Back to the reason for my post. For all those teachers that got frustrated by my inability to round those fingers---or to keep that right pinky finger from sticking straight out as I would play my scales: I give you this.....

I could have been worse!

5 comments:

Kyle said...

You must be so proud :)

Allyson & Jere said...

I love you. No really, you just crack me up. You ARE a brilliant pianist, I can only DREAM to have your skillz.

Jenny said...

I can't believe I'm the mom now that tells my kids "You'll thank me when your older" Wow! I can't wait for that! :)

Diane Arnett Gardiner said...

So brilliantly CUTE! love this post, love also reading your in-laws email and hearing about it all firsthand. Thanks for sharing

Jenn C. said...

I love the post! I am scared of a play-off. I am just glad that you consented and "let" me play for you in class voice!