"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences." ~Gordon B. Hinckley

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I "totally" need some medicine!

Ahhh, my little Laetner is quite a character. Even as I am typing this I can hear him fighting with Waverly---bear in mind she is 6 months old! She is apparently making too much noise while jumping up and down in her exosaucer and it is hard for him to hear the T.V. "Quiet Way-ber-lee, I can't hear." To which she gets even more excited and starts squawking at him. "Stop talking for me Way-ber-lee!" To which she starts jumping up and down in the exosaucer again. It goes on ALL day like this.
Lately his new favorite adjective is "toh-tah-wee"---otherwise known as totally! That word has been fairly present in Delainee's vocabulary as well, but I think Laetner is really integrating it into any and all situations. I know at four AND a half years old, you would not think he should not be pronouncing it that way, but that is why the "little bus" picks him up everyday to go to amanecer preschool for speech delay.

Courtney has been traveling A LOT lately. Most weeks we don't see him from Monday thru Wednesday or Thursday or so. This next month will be particularly insane. From now thru Oct 10 he will be home a total of 6 days! We miss him tremendously--me moreso than the others of course. The kids seem to do fine with it. We talk alot about him being gone and looking at the calendar to figure out when he comes back. I would honestly say that I don't think it really even phases Laetner that Daddy is gone aside from the fact that when Court is out of town he takes his laptop with him. When the laptop is in town Laetner would play games on it 24/7 if I let him. (I think Daddy does let him!!!) Anyways, last night I had just put the kids to bed. I am walking down the hallway and I hear Laetner sniffling in his room. You never know with him--the fan could be on, the blinds could be open, he is very particular with how things SHOULD be in his room (as I am sure all of our kiddies are) So I go into his room and see him sitting on the edge of his bed, and he seems to be legitimately crying---not the fake "I'm trying to extend my bedtime" cry.

This is how the conversation ensues....
ME: "What's the matter Laetner?"
Laetner:--sobbing
Me: (after waiting a moment) "What's the matter Laetner?"
Laetner: "I miss my daddy!"
Me: (slightly surprised by his response)"Me too, but he won't be coming home tonight" (I am figuring he wants to wait up for daddy to come home)
Laetner: (more insistent) "I want my daddy"
Me: "I know buddy, he'll be home Thursday night."
Laetner: I want my daddy, I totally sick.
Me: Oh...kay
Laetner: (continuing) "I totally sick, I totally need medicine!"
Me: "Ahhh...." (lightbulb going on)

You see, my little drug junkie of a son LOVES children motrin. He is always coming up with reasons why he needs the stuff. Thank goodness there is such a thing as child-proof caps, otherwise I am sure he would have ODed by now. Well I really was not up for a fight, so I am embarassed to admit that for no good reason I let him have some. Not a full dose, but enough to let us both have a good night's sleep!

3 comments:

Shelly said...

I love your blog-so cute. Such cute kids and that little baby is the sweetest thing. I love the name waverly. Im so sorry that your hubby is out of town so much. Your a strong woman. My hubby was thinking of taking a job that required him to travel from Wed to Sunday. I was stressing big time! Good luck.

BeckyinQC said...

That is too cute Julie. It might sound weird, but I love it when they pronounce their words wrong. It doesn't last forever and it reminds me that my babies are still babies. When they start pronouncing everything right, I feel a little of their "baby-ness" slipping away. I'm a sap - I know.

Taryn seemed to go from babbling to full on sentences overnight and I've warned everyone if they correct her of her last "baby" word, they'll have to answer to me! She still hanging on to "berry" for her "very".

Mike and Alecia said...

ahhh Julie... your blog is way cuter than mine I'm pretty jealous. Well Mike and I are counting down the days till we watch your kiddos. Parker is really excited. I'll call you soon I need help about his b day cake.