"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences." ~Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Backseat Conversations

Driving the kiddies around town is not always the most enjoyable experience. Usually it consists of me yelling things like "Laetner get buckled!", or "Stop fighting, you're gonna wake up Waverly!" But sometimes the kids get lost in their own crazy conversations, and Delainee can get down right philosophical!
We were all on our way to Mesa Peds today to get our annual flu shots. My simple minded children call this the "fish doctor" beacause the lobby has a huge aquarium. (Not to be confused with our Dentist the "train doctor" whose whole office is a train station theme and motif.) Delainee completely understood where we were going and had a lot of concerns about why and what was about to happen. I cut her a deal that if she behaved and did not try and jerk away from the nurse, then we could go to sonic afterwards and get a 'treat'. I then tried to cut the same deal with Laetner, but when I started the conversation with "Laetner, do you know where we are going right now?" he responded that we were going to the fish STORE---which at our house is code for PETSMART. I figured it wasn't worth going any further with the deal making process, he would find out soon enough that it was NOT petco that we were headed to.
So it was actually a quiet ride for a little bit when Delainee asks if she can be more than one "fing." Completely perplexed, I asked for clarification.
"Can I be more than one "fing" when I grow up?" she says.
"Of course you can be more than one thing when you grow up," I replied. "You can be as many things as you want!"
(slight pause in conversation while I patiently wait for her to not continue the conversation)
"What WOULD you like to be when you grow up, Delainee?"
She obviously had thought about this, because she immediately responded with "I want to be a doctor and a school teacher."
"Those are really good goals," I said.
Then she starts thinking and starts putting out ideas like...
"How can I be both 'fings' at the same time,"
"It is not fair that only boys can be football players,"
"Can I go to school during the day and be a doctor at night,"
"There would be no one to watch the kids if I went to work just like a daddy,"
and finally ended up with
"Laetner, what do you want to be when you grow up?"
"I want to be a doctor and Ironman" he replies.
"You can't be Ironman!" Delainee exclaims.
"We-cause?" he asks.
(I love this word--we-cause. He always uses it, and it makes perfect sense. The ever present words of "why" and "becuase" that kids use in response to everything, he has combined into one word-WECAUSE.)
Anyways...."We-cause?" he asks.
"How would you make the suit," she accuses in her 'duh' tone.
"I would use the hammer like THIS (he mimicks a slow, one handed hammer action) and then I would put it into the water like THIS" (he appears to put something in an oven with two hands)

If you have seen Ironman the movie, Mr. Downey Jr actually builds his first suit of armor by melting iron and then shaping it into a helmet with a HAMMER and then dropping it into the water to cool it down to keep its shape. This first suit is a 'first draft' and so of course is a boring grey color and not the signature red and yellow suit of IRONMAN....

"I would use the hammer like this, and then I would put it into the water like this." he says.
"Umm.. that is the grey suit," she again accuses in her duh tone.
To which he matter of factly replies, "I can make the red and 'lellow' that way too!"

I am truly frightened, because I am sure if Laetner did manage to get an inordinate amount of scrap metal, he would indeed figure out a way to meld it down in his room into an IRONMAN suit---red and yellow in color of course!

No comments: