"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences." ~Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Anger Management Issues

I can't imagine where they get it from. Within the last 24 hours ALL three of my angelic children have displayed some questionable behavior. Yesterday we celebrated MLK day by heading out to the park. And I can't say that I was completely surprised by Delainee, because she has almost had a melt down before when her ball did not roll where she thought it should roll when playing croquet as a family. But there was this balance beam sort of thing and she could NOT get across it. I watched her try and then stomp away when she fell off, and then come back again, fall and stomp off again. I suddenly heard, "Look, mommy, I did it!" only to look up and see that Laetner had succeeded---ooh she got mad! We then decided to race across the park to a different playground. Delainee started out clearly in the lead and she knew it. I think she must have turned her head just to see where Laetner was at or maybe to talk trash to him (who knows) when she sort of stumbles and Laetner clearly over takes her. The minute he passed her she immediately dropped to her knees and started pouting. Great attitude!

Laetner was getting ready for school today when I told him to put his shoes and socks on....
Laetner: I already have my flippies on.
Me: I don't care, you need to put shoes and socks on.
Laetner: But its not cold outside.
Me: Miss Gwynne says you can't wear flippies to school.

At this point Laetner starts to stomp/kick his foot and off it goes flying towards my nightstand and knocking over my light. Sadly this behaviour is reminiscent of the time I was about 9 and I did the same thing, only the shoe flew through my upstairs bedroom window --shattering it---and I was responsible for the $70 it took to repair it.
Photobucket
And then there is sweet, gentle, docile Waverly. I was feeding her dinner last night when I tried to sneak a biteful of mashed potatoes in. I had given her a cracker and as she would get it close to her mouth and open up, I would shovel my vittles in. The first time she promptly snapped her mouth shut and turned her head. The second time I actually made it in and figured I had won! Well she showed me. Not only did she squawk madly at me, but she spit the potatoes out, and then in a very Hulk like manner smashed her cracker between her hands--snapping it in two--and then threw the pieces at me!!!! (or at least down on the floor)

At this point I just raised my hands and exclaimed, "I'm out!"

4 comments:

Fuller's said...

Very cute. Makes you appreciate the tantrum-free days. "Hulk Smash!"

Crandell Fam said...

Waverley's might just be my favorite. That was funny. My kids have serious anger management issues. I don't know WHERE THE FREAK THEY GET IT FROM!!!!! :) We've been working on it for a while now...

Jenn C. said...

Your kids are mild! Anna practically breaks down her bedroom door when asked to go to her room and think about her behavior!

Tara Fischbeck said...

Waverly is so cute!