"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences." ~Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, October 5, 2009

Lanee's Legacy

After the craziness that was the birth of my first child Delainee, I was sent to a group of perinatologists for all subsequent pregnancies---as I was high risk and needed to be monitored closely. So during my pregnancy with Laetner I was at that office ALOT. During one of my visits I found my cousin Becky waiting in the waiting room with me and so we of course began chatting. Becky and her husband Tommy were pregnant with a little girl, but the probability of their daughter living for very long was extremely low. Their daughter was diagnosed with a condition called Dandy-Walker Cyst. I never have seen someone so grounded and full of faith as Becky was. Our appointments actually coincided many times and on one of these visits Becky told me that ever since I named my little girl Delainee that she had always loved that name and would I mind if she named this baby the same. I was so honored.

The doctors believed that the Norris’ baby would deteriorate and pass away during pregnancy, but much to their surprise DeLanee developed until 28 weeks gestation when she was delivered and lived for three hours. As you can imagine, these 3 hours was precious time that they spent as a family with their daughter taking pictures, bathing, dressing and holding her until she passed away in their arms. I actually was able to visit them in the hospital during this time. And was able to attend her sweet funeral.

Upon DeLanee's passing, the nurses brought the Norris family a box to put their daughter’s belongings in to take home with them. Because DeLanee was born in January the nurses were able to find a leftover Christmas box. That Christmas box became extremely special to the Norris family and they clung to it and the contents inside that held their daughter’s precious belongings as they left the hospital without their baby. It was because of this box that the inspiration for Lanee’s Legacy began. . .

Initially Becky's mission was to create boxes to give to families dealing with the death of a newborn just like Delanee. But Becky is now working with Banner HealthCare to set up a foundation in DeLanee's behalf and could use any support possible. There is pancake breakfast this Saturday, all sorts of give aways, or you can just donate. So please click on the pink Lanee's Legacy button or here http://laneeslegacy.blogspot.com/ to learn more.

1 comment:

Tara Fischbeck said...

Goodness I didn't know I was going to be tearing up this morning while reading blogs! Such a sweet story! Hope you are feeling better!