"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences." ~Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Dee-Doy-Dum

We had such a wonderful winter break from school. I personally enjoyed staying up late and not having ANYTHING to have to get up for. But come Sunday I knew the honeymoon was over. SOOOO we got everyone bathed, and hair done and clothes picked out, so that bright and early Monday morning there would be no problems getting back into the swing of things. We looked at the lunch calendar and picked out the days we would buying our lunch this week. We even made a batch of cookies so we could have something fun to pack in our lunch on those days that we packed our own.

And there weren't any problems. There was the usual, constant nagging after Laetner to please finish his breakfast, and please brush your teeth, and please hurry and get dressed. But everyone managed to get out of bed at our usual time when the alarm went off at 6:40 a.m. And by 7:45 all lunches were packed, hairs were combed, teeth were brushed, jackets were on---WE WERE READY TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL.

Monday mornings I am in charge of car pool so I sent my trusty side kick Courtney (since he is actually in town) and I began getting dressed for the gym so I could start the new year out right and get back into the routine of exercising every morning. Suddenly the phone rings and I see that it is my SIL Shelby (the other half of our car pool). "Were you just knocking on my door?" she asks. I thought she was being funny. "One of my kids probably was," I responded.

Silence on the other end of the line...

"Ummm, school doesn't start until WEDNESDAY!" she exclaims.

After feeling all sorts of emotions from humiliation to frustration, I realized that I better call Court quick before he actually dropped the kids off at school. I starting dialing his cell phone, but to my horror it starts ringing right next to me. I then heard the beep of the front door opening and I bolted to see if he still had the kiddies---luckily he did.

With not a soul in sight he had decided it wasn't the best idea to just drop the kids off at the crosswalk---GOOD BOY!

But I was so mad that I wasted a perfectly good night staying up late and sleeping in! Ü Plus I couldn't go to the gym with the extra two kids in tow---my membership doesn't cover it ---there goes my New Years Resolutions on day ONE! We were ALL dressed up with NOWEHERE to go, so we did a little shopping that day. And lunch time was easy. Once the kids starting saying they were hungry for lunch I told them to just go open up their backpacks.

But I have NEVER in my entire life heard of school starting back on a WEDNESDAY after Winter Break, have you?????

Boo, Gilbert Public Schools, boo!

3 comments:

Diane Arnett Gardiner said...

Too funny! Sorry you had to go through all of that, but it is hilarious!

April said...

Julie, I am with you. We started back on Wednesday too. What a waste of a week. Either start on Monday or not at all. My kids have been doing little worksheets and having fun in school with no homework this week. WASTE I tell ya. However, it is funny that you got the kids ready for school and out the door. I'm sorry

Allyson & Jere said...

Oh dear, that is hilarious, I mean horrible! That is pretty retarded to start back on Wednesday, I mean really. I'm still kind of laughing about it all though, I won't lie.