"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences." ~Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, March 23, 2009

Go, Delainee, Go!

We are huge procrastinators at our house. Potty training usually happens close to age 4----yeah, you heard right! Which if you can make it that long, I would highly suggest. No accidents, no NUTHING! Just a simple conversation of, "Hey don't you want to be a big girl/boy now?'' "Yes?" "Okay!"-----DONE!

Well I am reading my sister-in-law Tara's blog about her 4 year old Reese learning to ride a bike, and a huge wave a guilt rushes over me. Ummmmm, yeahhhh. Delainee's sad little barbie bike is sitting outside with broken training wheels on it and cobwebs in the spokes---and did I mention she will turn 7 in May!!!!! Soooo, since Court was home this weekend I begged him to tear the training wheels off, clean it up and spend a little daddy/daughter time outside. Delainee acted all excited at first, but as soon as Court held out the training wheel-less, precariously balanced bike she suddenly broke out in exclamations of "I don't wanna ride" that sounded an awful lot like Wilbur in Charlotte's Web when he exclaims "I don't wanna die!"


This fall landed her in the bushes and she claimed she was done!


Well a very nice neighbor girl came over to help. She said when she learned to ride her bike that it was easier to learn in the retention basin. So 'the group' headed down the street. She lined up Lainee on the top of the hill.......gave her a little push.......





And away she went!
Simple!
Done!


She immediately transferred her madd skillz to the ashphalt and off they drove into the sunset.


I don't know who was more proud.

Her or me!

4 comments:

Tara Fischbeck said...

I am pretty proud of her too...for some reason it almost brought a tear to my eye...or maybe it was your music in the back ground...not sure. What a sweet little neghbor girl willing to help out. Yeah Delainee!

Unknown said...

You so give me the motivation to get my boys to ride a bike. They have no interest....no idea why....Tanner would rather have a skate board?! But riding in the retention area is a great idea! And don't worry! You are not the only procrastinator! Mine are 8 and 7!

Julie said...

Go Lainee! We are SLOW bike riders around here too! Mostly cause we lived on a busy street and the few runs in the church parking lot didn't go too well... When we moved in our new house, the 3 older ones all to learned to ride at the same time that first week and haven't stopped since! Ü

Allyson & Jere said...

Well, better late than never I always say. And the potty training at 4 thing? i don't know, that's a lot more years of diaper buying. i'm gonna have to take my chances at 2. hehe